It’s not your average Florida town. There’s a reason Jacksonville is called the “Flip Side of Florida”– a silently confident alternative to the bustle of larger cities in the state. Known for its local feel and unique offerings for people of all ages, the city has something for everyone, including seniors and people over the age of 55 looking to visit or retire in sunshine. Whether it’s dining out, trying out the latest fitness class, or experiencing a night out on the town, Jacksonville is a destination worth exploring. Let’s delve into some of the top activities for seniors looking to have some fun in Jacksonville!
Jacksonville Salon & Spas
Overdue for a day of relaxation? Jacksonville has an array of salon and spa services offering various treatments, including massages, facials and nail services. Whether it’s a quick trip to the salon or an extended spa day, you have options to decompress.
A few places to go:
- Ponte Vedra Inn & Club: This world-class spa is a year-round destination for weddings and social and corporate events and features a menu of over 100 beauty and body treatments, including therapeutic massages, rejuvenating facials and purifying wraps.
- Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa: Set next to championship golf at the adjacent TPC Sawgrass, this beautiful resort offers a stunning spa, outdoor pools, a 24-hour gym, mini-golf and a volleyball court.
- Balanced Soul Wellness: Experience holistic wellness with this themed, tranquil spa. With offerings like Vitamin IV Therapy, B-12 Shots, and customizable massages, you’ll feel refreshed and ready to take on the day.
- Moroccan Hammam & Day Spa: Known for its natural, organic and ethically-sourced products and treatments, this spot is the first and only spa in Jacksonville and all of North Florida to offer a Hammam Hydrotherapy treatment using its own line of muds, clays, and argan oil products sourced from Morocco.
How do Seniors Stay Active in Florida?
Staying active and fit is crucial for overall health and wellbeing in later years. For seniors who are 55 years or older, staying active can have a multitude of benefits for physical and mental health. Staying fit can be fun, too! Jacksonville has numerous fitness and wellness activities to choose from, including group classes like water aerobics, yoga, Zumba classes and walking paths to enjoy the city’s beautiful parks.
Benefits of staying fit:
- Reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes
- Improve balance, flexibility and coordination, which can reduce the risk of falling
- Reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Improve cognitive function
Jacksonville & Surrounding Area Beaches
Beaches are synonymous with Florida, and Jacksonville beaches allow seniors to unwind and relax with breathtaking views, feel-good sun and sea breeze.
A few places to go:
- Ponte Vedra Beach: Enjoy activities like swimming, surfing, water skiing and golfing at this unbeatable beach – home to the PGA Tour and the Players Championship.
- Neptune Beach: Enjoy many local dining and shopping options on this laidback beach. From yoga to surfing, you won’t get bored if you want to stay active.
- Crescent Beach: This spacious beach in St. Augustine is bike-friendly and less crowded than other popular areas. Try out horseback riding, volleyball or bookie boarding!
Activities in Jacksonville for You & Your Grandkids
There is nothing better than spending quality time with grandkids. Jacksonville offers exciting activities grandparents can enjoy with their little loved ones.
Places to go:
- Jacksonville Zoo: This zoo is one of only seven in the United States with an animal wellness team and also has the only walking safari in Northeast Florida.
- Kona Skate Park: The worlds’ oldest skate park, this iconic destination has been home to many firsts in the skate world, including the invention of the modern “Vert” ramp. The skatepark features concrete hills and a “snake run,” which includes a seemingly infinite number of paths.
- Museum of Science & History (MOSH): The city’s most visited museum, this institution has galleries and hands-on exhibits centered around interesting topics like space exploration and animals.
- Jacksonville Jaguars football game: With delicious snacks and thrilling performances, the excitement never stops at an NFL game. With the Jaguars program on the rise, attending a game with your grandkids is a great way to gain cool-factor points and create lasting memories.
Dining Around Vicar’s Landing
Get ready foodies! Jacksonville has an abundance of delicious offerings for those wanting to satisfy their tastebuds. Choose between upscale seafood options and hole-in-the-wall burger joints to mingle with the locals. Don’t skimp on the city’s delicious vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options. As we age, our diet needs may change, making it challenging to find restaurants that cater to dietary restrictions. Luckily, Jacksonville has many options that cater to various needs. Wherever you go, you won’t go hungry!
A few places to go:
- Catullo’s Italian: There might be a line to get into this one. If you’re looking for authentic Italian food, this restaurant won’t disappoint. Envision fried green tomato caprese, fluffy ricotta gnocchi pillows with sundried tomatoes and delicious limoncello cake.
- Nona Blue Modern Tavern: A cross between a tavern and a high-end sports bar, this modern American eatery is a fun place to watch a game or hang out with friends.
- Vicar’s Landing On-Site Dining Services: Our elegant Lakeside Dining Room with water views is just a short stroll from all the homes at Vicar’s Landing. The Blue Heron Cafe offers convenient mouthwatering dining in a casual atmosphere. The Lounge is the perfect place to delight in comfortable elegance while relaxing with friends and meeting new neighbors. Our Friday evening Happy Hour is a favorite among our Members. We also offer a Private Dining Room for special occasions, where our Dining Services Department can cater elegantly appointed functions, from an intimate cocktail party to a sit-down dinner or celebration.
Nightlife for 55+
After a long day at the beach, enjoy an exciting nightlife downtown. With great music, art and unbeatable views of the waterfront, you can enjoy yourself with or without a cocktail – or three.
A few places to go:
- Beaches Town Center: Craving ocean views with a cocktail in-hand? This destination district has many options, including the Lemon Bar and live music at Ragtime or the Flying Iguana.
- The Elbow: This downtown district boasts everything from lively bars like Dos Gatos to historic music venues like The Florida Theatre and 1904 Music Hall.
- The Volstead: Also in the Elbow, this popular cocktail bar offers a speakeasy feel and handcrafted cocktails.
Jacksonville is a destination that caters to everyone, including people ages 55 and up. Through various activities, dining options and experiences, this diverse city has plenty of opportunities for seniors to stay active, healthy and engaged in the community throughout their golden years.
Ready to Retire? Choose Vicar’s Landing!
It’s no wonder why Florida has become an increasingly popular destination for retirees – the sunshine state offers a favorable tax climate, year-round warmth and a welcoming culture that’s hard to resist. Are you ready to enjoy the retirement of your dreams? You’ve earned it! Contact us today to learn more about Vicar’s Landing and our wonderful Jacksonville retirement community.